Trinity United Methodist Church

P.O. Box 100, Clermont, GA 30527
Physical Address
5622 Clarks Bridge Road, Clermont, GA 30527
Phone: 770-983-3177
Fax: 770-983-0978

Office Email: tumc@trinityclermont.org
Office Hours: Monday thru Thursday
9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

 

  • White Instagram Icon
  • White Facebook Icon

@2019 Trinity United Methodist Church

Designed by: Hillary Truelove

History

​TRINITY'S BEGINNINGS:  
The History of Trinity United Methodist Church
In the 1870s, two congregations joined to become the congregation of Trinity United Methodist Church. Trinity has a rich history of thriving and journeying together as a family of God, determined to fulfill its calling to make passionate disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the community and the world. All are invited to journey together as we seek to fulfill God's mission and create a new future. 

HALL COUNTY BOOK “K”, PAGE 111, WE FIND A DEED FROM Z. B. THOMASON AND M. W. FINGER MADE ON MAY 12, 1873 OF FOUR ACRES MORE OR LESS. THE AREA IN WHICH THE CHURCH WAS LOCATED WAS NOT WITHOUT METHODIST PEOPLE AND METHODIST CHURCHES BEFORE TRINITY CAME INTO BEING. IN FACT, THERE WERE TWO CHURCHES WHICH MERGED TO FORM TRINITY CHURCH. THE TWO CHURCHES WERE SUNSHINE CHURCH AND WILLIAMS CHAPEL. THE TWO CHURCHES AGREED TO CONSOLIDATE AND BUILD ANOTHER CHURCH. THE NEW CHURCH WAS.TO BE LOCATED HALFWAY BETWEEN SUNSHINE AND WILLIAMS CHAPEL. THUS, THE WAY WAS PAVED FOR ERECTION OF THE FIRST HOUSE OF WORSHIP TO BE KNOWN AS TRINITY. THESE TWO CHURCHES WERE BOTH LOG BUILDINGS MUCH SMALLER THAN THE PROPOSED SANCTUARY. WILLIAMS CHAPEL WAS WEST OF THE PROPOSED CHURCH ON THE LEFT OF RANSOM FREE ROAD ON WILLIAM HOVIE CHAMBERS’ FARM. THE WILLIAMS CHAPEL GRAVEYARD CAN STILL BE FOUND ON CHAMBERS’ FARM. WILLIAMS CHAPEL WAS SOLD BY TRUSTEES OSCAR E. FLOYD, D. TURNER QUINLAN, AND P. LONNIE GAILEY ON APRIL 7, 1913 TO R. HOMER HAYNES FOR FORTY DOLLARS FOR THE THREE ACRES MORE OR LESS. SUNSHINE CHURCH WAS EAST OF THE PROPOSED CHURCH ON SKITTS MOUNTAIN ROAD. IT WAS ALSO KNOWN AS CAMPGROUND ROAD. THE CONGREGATION AT SUNSHINE WAS COMPOSED OF METHODIST AND BAPTIST WHO JOINED TOGETHER BECAUSE OF SIMILAR TRAGEDIES. A CHURCH NAMED HOLLY SPRINGS BAPTIST BURNED, AND BEFORE ANOTHER STRUCTURE WAS BUILT THE CONGREGATION MET WITH THE METHODISTS AT SUNSHINE. THE METHODISTS WHO FORMED SUNSHINE USED TO WORSHIP IN A TWO-STORY HOUSE CALLED THE POLKESVILLE CHURCH; HOWEVER,IT BURNED ALSO. SINCE BOTH CONGREGATIONS WERE WITHOUT A PLACE TO WORSHIP, THEY FORMED SUNSHINE. LATER, THE BAPTISTS BUILT ANOTHER SANCTUARY AND CALLED IT HOLLY SPRINGS. SOME OF THE METHODISTS ALSO BUILT ANOTHER SANCTUARY AND CALLED IT CLEMONS CHAPEL. BOTH OF THESE CHURCHES ARE STILL IN EXISTENCE TODAY. THE REST OF THE METHODISTS FROM SUNSHINE COMBINED WITH WILLIAMS CHAPEL METHODISTS IN FORMING TRINITY. REV. DAVID L. ANDERSON WAS THE PASTOR WHEN TRINITY WAS BUILT IN 1873. HE HELPED TO ERECT THE NEW CHURCH. LATER HE BECAME A MISSIONARY TO CHINA. 

SOURCES OF INFORMATION:
1. REV. BILL J. COX, PASTOR (1952-1954)
2. MINUTES OF QUARTERLY CONFERENCES FOR TRINITY CHARGE
3. MRS. J. N. (VALLIE) IRVIN
4. MEMBERS OF TRINITY CONGREGATION AND FRIENDS OF THE CHURCH
5. DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENT REV. WILLIAM A. MCKOY
6. THE 1915 WOMAN'S MISSIONARY SOCIETY RECORD BOOK



 

Trinity's Pastors
David L. Anderson
1873
J. W. Brinsfield
1915-1916
J. S. Embry
1874
R. T. Harrison
1917-1918
J. H. Mashburn
1875
F. G. Spearman
1919-1921
C.L. Patillo
1876
W. B. Hughes
1922-1923
M. J. Cofer
1877-1878
E. C. Swetman
1924
N. E. McBreyer
1879-1880
S. A. Dailey
1925
Q. B. Quillian
1881
N. A. Parsons
1926
R. P. Martin
1882-1883
L. M. Davidson
1927
F. F. Reynolds (s)
1884
T. E. Sherwood
1928
B. E. Ledbetter
1885
H. L. Gurley
1929-1930
Sanford Leake
1886
P. H. Stokes
1931
H. L. Edmondson
1887
M. M. Brackman
1932-1934
Geo. K. Quillian (s)
1888
Marvin L. Warwick1935-1937
J. N. Myers
1889
E. W. McDougal(s)1938-1940
C. P. Marchman
1890
J. W. Eberhart
1941-1942
Col. H. H. Perry(s)
1891
Claude Patterson
1943
S. H. Braswell
1892
H. G. Garrett
1944
T. P. Graham
1893
J. H. Smith(s)
1945-1946
W. A. C. Baker
1894
W. E. Atkinson (s)
1947-1949
A. F. Nunn
1895
Doc Patterson
1949-1952
A. M. Pierce
1896
Billy J. Cox
1952-1954
C. E. Hartman
1879
John R. Brabham
1954-1956
J. W. Austin
1898
J. Alton Johnson
1956-1958
John R. Jones
1899-1900
Chas. Dennis
1958 - March 1960
W. E. Venable (s)
1901
J. D. Ferguson
Mar 1960 - June 1960
J. H. Farr
1902
Dewey E. Bailey
1960-1962
G. W. Tumlin
1903
Truman Thomas
1962-1968
“To be supplied”
1904
Paul Smith
1968-1970
W. H. Clark
1905-1906
Dan Welch
1970-1971
G. M. Davis
1907
Paul Davis
1971-1974
W. A. Wells
1908
Gary Blain
1974-1979
John L. Franklin
1909
Jimmy Moor
1979 - February,1983
J. 0. L. Morgan(s)
1910
Roger Bourgeois
Feb 1983 - Dec 1985
W. M. Barnett
1911-1914
Allen Jernigan
Jan 1986 - June 1986
Don Martin
1986-1992
Carroll Miller
1992-1994
Jeff Ross
1994-1996
Rob Crawford
1996-2000
Rebecca Jones
2000-2003
Lee Almy
2003-2008
Don Underwood
2008-2012
John Moore
2012-2016
Brian Funderburke
​2016-current